[c-nsp] Signal too "hot" for PA-A3-T3

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Thu Aug 16 18:18:50 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I just went through a 2-day troubleshooting session, due to a bunch of
errors using a PA-A3-T3 and a third party's mux.  In the end, upon the
advice of a couple of people, we put a signal attentuator inline, and the
errors have stopped.

I already mentioned that the module of ours was the PA-A3-T3.  I don't
know who makes the mux.  The coax between these devices is about 35 feet.
The attenuator is supposedly around 10db.  Using a testing tool, I'm told
that the signal strength coming from their equipment went from about 2.4db
to -7.6db.

I can't seem to find an operating range for signal strength on the
PA-A3-T3.  Does anyone know if either or both of these values are outside
of the range of it?

Furthermore, has anyone run into this before, and do they have any
insight?

Again, everything seems fine now.  This query is mainly informational.
But I also *DO* want to make sure that I'm not operating outside of
acceptable values....

Thanks,

Rick Kunkel