[c-nsp] PBR to change default gateway for an IP?

Nate Carlson cisco-nsp at natecarlson.com
Mon Aug 27 10:35:15 EDT 2007

Can you help a dead-tired engineer?  ;)

We've got an IP pon our network that needs to use a different route out to
the world, but for lots of reasons, we can't change it on the device
itself.. it's currently pointed at an interface on a 6509. From what I
recall, we can set up PBR to say that anything from the source IP of this
device should go out a different path than the default - am I remembering
right? Anyone got an example? My google-fu is being seriously hampered by
too many 15 hour days lately.  ;(

So, here's an example with some IP's:

Device info:
IP address: 10.0.0.1/24
Default gateway: 10.0.0.254

6509 config:
IP address: 10.0.0.254/24, 172.16.1.1
Default gateway: 172.16.1.254

>From 10.0.0.1, we need traffic to 192.168.0.0/16 to go via the 6509's
standard default gateway (172.16.1.254), but need the rest of the traffic
to go out via a vendor-provided gateway (10.0.0.2). Unfortunately, the
device does not allow us to add any routes (all we can have is a default
gateway). Normally my solution would be to point the gateway at 10.0.0.2
and add routes on it back to our internal network, but that device is a
PIX running 6.3, and it won't allow traffic to route back out the same
interface.  ;(

I'd appreciate any examples!!

-Nate