[c-nsp] BGP hardware requirements

Roman Bestuzhev vhelgi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 02:11:11 EDT 2007

It seems that 2851 is more than enough to route two links at 1 or 2 Mb/s. As
Cisco says, 2851 is capable to route at speed of 112 Mb/s, but in real world
you should devide this value by 2 at least.

As I see this devise has 256 Mb of memory. It is enaugh for default and
several specific routes but not enaugh for full view. For full view you may
want to consider to add 1Gb of memory, or 512 Gb at least for single full
table.

And finally, to support BGP you need another IOS, not IP BASE which can
support only static routes and RIP, if I remember correctly. Look at
adventerprise version of IOS.

2007/8/30, Dracul <chris.garzon at gmail.com>:

> Hi All is BGP configuration ok for these scenarios?
>
> 1MB and 2MB leased line link
> 1MB and 1MB leased line link
>
> (also its a v.35 and fastethernet combo)
>
> what would be the best setup? Full routes? Def routes?
>
> Here's the show version of the router I will be using. can it support BGP?
>
> =====
> Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(3f),
> RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
> Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
> Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
> Compiled Fri 18-Aug-06 18:47 by alnguyen
>
> ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(1r) [hqluong 1r], RELEASE SOFTWARE
> (fc1)
>
> gw-oberoi-bng-in uptime is 19 weeks, 8 hours, 7 minutes
> System returned to ROM by reload at 08:26:42 UTC Sun Mar 18 2007
> System image file is "flash:c2800nm-ipbase-mz.124-3f.bin"
>
> Cisco 2851 (revision 53.51) with 251904K/10240K bytes of memory.
> Processor board ID FHK103670G9
> 2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
> 2 Serial(sync/async) interfaces
> DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
> 239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
> 62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)
>
> Configuration register is 0x2102
>
> =====
>
> regards,
> chris