[c-nsp] Configure IP helper via SNMP?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Dec 10 13:30:06 EST 2007

> although I suppose we
 could always have it enabled and control whether or
> not the system
 pxeboots via the dhcpd configuration (both was the
> original plan...)

>I'm guessing that the PXE boot is being done for installations, in which
>case you really don't want to depend on whether the helper address was
>configured or not to prevent 'surprise' reinstalls. If the concern is
>potentially forwarding lots of garbage at the boot server, then try
>whittling down 'ip forward-protocol'.
>
>(To answer your actual question though, as far as I know your best approach
>would be to CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB snippets into running-config)

        Well, we were going to use both 'whether the helper address was configured' and whether the MAC address of the NIC (which would've been configured dynamically via an application in which it gets added/removed from the configuration for the DHCP server) to determine whether it should be PXE booted, and we weren't really initially thinking of autoinstalls we were thinking of having an autobooting rescue environment similar to a busybox shell which booted which would allow us to resolve issues remotely on a plethora of linux machines which are not local.

Sorry I wasn't clear from the onset.

Thanks,
-Drew