[c-nsp] Configure IP helper via SNMP?

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:59:31 EST 2007

Hi Drew,

On Dec 11, 2007 5:30 AM, Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:

>         Well, we were going to use both 'whether the helper address was configured' and whether the MAC address of the NIC (which would've been configured dynamically via an application in which it gets added/removed from the configuration for the DHCP server) to determine whether it should be PXE booted, and we weren't really initially thinking of autoinstalls we were thinking of having an autobooting rescue environment similar to a busybox shell which booted which would allow us to resolve issues remotely on a plethora of linux machines which are not local.

What about taking a lead from systems like Novell's ZENworks, where
the system boots via PXE every time, but to continue loading the boot
image, the user has to hold down a key? Otherwise it drops back out
and boots as per usual.

This way you can leave your ip helper configuration alone, and don't
need to fiddle with your DHCP server configuration.

If there is really no one local to the machine that can press and hold
a key for you, maybe one of the things the boot image could check for
is a per-system flag or something to determine whether to continue

cheers,
Dale