[c-nsp] Voip & IP Telephony Design questions

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:13:05 EST 2007

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding setting up an IP Telephony & Voip system
for 18 locations varying in size.

Currently these locations have either a few analog phone lines and a couple
of phones all the way up to a full PBX with digital phones.  The idea is to
eliminate all of the old PBX systems and worn out phones and put in an IP
telephony system in each building.  Then, using these IP telephony systems,
integrate a voip system for calling across the private wan.

Right now I can only think of one requirement and that is that there must be
either 1 or 2 analog lines in each building for local calling.  The whole
area is divided up into 3 local exchanges, and there has to be the
capability of people calling in from there local exchange to each building.
Other wise its very straight forward, no building will have more than 50
phones, and no less than 5.  There are cisco 3560's and 2960 switches in
most area's and trunk's between each building with voice vlan's.  Qos is
being configured right now, and wap's are being installed in the next few
months.

My questions are as follows:

What kind of device would you put in each building for call routing?

Where would you put the call manager(s)?

What would you do with the voicemail setup?

I'm not looking for long elaborate answers, just some general ideas on which
is the best way to go about this.

Suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,
Dan.