[c-nsp] access-list performance impact

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Dec 19 05:42:13 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:53 +0100, Ahmad Cheikh Moussa wrote:
> Can someone tell me, which performance impact I have, when I activate
> an acl on an interface ? Is there a sheet or something like that, where
> I can read that information ? How do the 6500/7600 series do that ?
> I mean, do they handle the acls in hardware too, or is it done by the
> software ?

The performance impact depens on what features you configure. If you
stay within the right set of features there sould be no performance
impact enabling ACLs AFAIK.

Probably the most important thing is to avoid traffic using a software
path. For the 6500/6000 you can look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00804916e0.shtml#acl
http://www.tinyurl.dk/2564

The same basic rules apply if you are running a Supervisor 7600. And I
guess the RSP works much the same way too.

Regards,
Peter Rathlev