[c-nsp] OT: How do you fight spam in your enterprise? Ineed help

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Dec 21 02:47:40 EST 2007

That may be true in AU.  The problem in many markets in the US is that
if your providing DSL (as we do) quite often your doing it through a
telco that charges you as much money to provision a DSL line through
their network from your network to your customer, as if the customer
got Internet service and a DSL line directly from that telco.  So there
is none of this nonsense about the right price, because unless your
simply giving away connectivity for free, your price is -never- equal
or lower than the telco.  It is very difficult to retain customers in
this kind of market because no matter how good your customer service
and support is, once the customer gets experienced, they don't need
your support anymore and they will just shop around for the cheapest
ISP.  Which is almost always their telco, not you.  (unless your a
telco with wire in the ground yourself)

Some of these customers will stay, because even though they know they
could save $10 USD a month by going to the telco, they would have to
change their e-mail address.  With customers like this, charging extra
for mailboxes is out of the question, they always have to be free,
and so no matter how much money and labor the spammers force you to
dump into maintaining e-mail, your not going to be able to pass the
increases along to your customers.

In many of the ISP markets in the US, it is nothing more than a
gigantic gmae of chicken.  You will have 3-4 established ISPs
and every last one of them is losing customers.  They are losing
dialup customers as people transition off dialup onto broadband,
they are losing DSL customers as people transition from their DSL
to cheaper telco-provided DSL, they are losing customers as people
transition off their service to the "free" metro wi-fi services,
or transition off their services onto theft/stealing services from
their neighbors wireless base units that aren't secured.  They
are losing customers as people who were formerly dialup users are
now surfing the web at work during their lunch break - rather than
going out to the local $6-a-meal sandwich shop for an hour, they are
brown bagging it and doing their ebaying/online shopping/online banking
at their desk during lunch, and using gmail and suchlike e-mail
addresses.

Ted