[c-nsp] IPTV and MPLS

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Thu Feb 1 01:28:43 EST 2007

On (2007-01-31 20:04 -0600), netman wrote:

> Are their any members here running IPTV and if so could you give me a brief on how you have this type of network configured?

For now, purely L2, leaked over EoMPLS to different L2 islands. Our network
fully supports multicast in hardware, but at this moment we opted not to
include that complexity as it was not absolutely needed. But it's being
seriously considered.

> Also, any idea why Cisco would not want us to run our Multicast traffic in a mVPN on our 7600's?

Quickly thinking because you gain nothing in security-wise, as mVPN is just
tunnel hack, and not label switched multicast (which is still good +3 years
ahead of us, that is you can not MPLS switch multicast traffic). Possibly also
due to some performance limiting factors, possibly recirculation cases.
 I'd be more curious why would you want to add that complexity into
your network?
 One thing might be worth considering is PIM Vector, which would allow you
not to run full-BGP in MPLS core, but it's very new feature and personally
I don't have any experience in it.

--
  ++ytti