[c-nsp] QOS - 6509 - Next Step?

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Feb 1 10:23:56 EST 2007

Hi there...

I'm working on providing priority within our core of 6509's  and prefer to
do marking via NBAR.  Is this a very bad idea in general?  We have NBAR
support in all our routers pretty much throughout...

This is not to address congestion as our core and distribution has no
congestion (referring to maxxing out link speeds etc. specifically)...

So I have started working with several VLAN interfaces on our 6509 (layer 3
interfaces) and have DSCP=EF for SIP/MGCP/RTP traffic like this:

class-map match-any QOS-VOIP
  match protocol sip
  match protocol rtp
  match protocol mgcp
!
!
policy-map QOS
  class QOS-VOIP
   set dscp ef
  class class-default
   set dscp default

interface Vlan104
 description xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 bandwidth 100000
 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.105 255.255.255.248
 ip nbar protocol-discovery
 service-policy input QOS

On VLAN interfaces I can only apply the service policy inbound - not
outbound:

dis1-rtr-mb(config-if)#service-policy output QOS
MQC features are not supported in output direction for this interface

I don't believe this is a problem because I understand that QOS is applied
in one direction only - outbound, which on a VLAN layer3 interface would
actually mean traffic *leaving* the interface is marked .. correct??

So, I've been doing a lot of reading from "End-to-End QOS Network Design"
which is a great book... I'm faced right now with too much information..;)

Next step would be to assign queues on the actual interfaces?  Can I assign
queues to vlan interfaces or only physical interfaces?  My problem is that
the cards are 6148 and 6248 cards so limited queues.... as I understand it
the 6248 is 1Q4T and the 6148 is 1P2Q2T?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction for the "next step"...;)

Thanks very much,

Paul