[c-nsp] WCCP and 2800 series

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Feb 1 18:50:52 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007, Corneliu Tanasa wrote:
> HI,
>
> I'm trying to setup a 2800 box running IP base IOS (12.4.12) to
> transparently redirect all http request to a cache engine (squid configured
> for transparent cache).
> I setup a test bed with a 7505 series router and everything went fine.  Then
> I moved the configuration on the 2800 series router:
> Now, the cache engine is aquired, the router reports that he is redirecting
> the requests, but I'm seeing no requests on the squid side and of course the
> http connection gets broken.
> I used on both cases IOS IP Base 12.4.12 and I tried with both WCCP v1 and
> v2.
> Do somebody have any idea of issues with WCCP redirection on 2800 series?

Well, that means the packets are arriving at your squid server but aren't
being handled correctly.

* "show ip wccp web-cache detail" and "show ip wccp web-cache view" on the
  2800 and 7505; look at the redirection types and make sure they're the
  same. Squid doesn't yet negotiate redirection methods so it should be
  whatever you've configured in Squid
* assuming its GRE, do a tcpdump on your Squid server and see whether you're
  seeing the GRE packets.
* See whats different in the packet dumps between the 7505 and the 2800.
* Join the squid-users mailing list (see the squid website for details) and
  see if anyone else there is running WCCPv2 on a 2800. I don't have one
  handy to try against but I know it works fine on my 7204/3550/2651.
* Send the squid-users list your iptables ruleset, relevant WCCPv2 cisco
  configuration and squid configuration. Oh, and the Squid version.

Adrian
(Squid developer)