[c-nsp] QOS - 6509 - Next Step?

nealr neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Thu Feb 1 10:33:26 EST 2007

  Paul,

     We're working on this now with some of the smaller switches. I just
had to give an encapsulation of what I'd learned about the 3550 through
3750 line and egress queueing. I think you'll find these principles
apply to the 6500 but there are varying features based on line cards.

     IP precedence and DSCP are layer 3 markings for QoS. When the
traffic is to egress a switch these pieces of information must first be
mapped to one of eight CoS values, and then the CoS values themselves
must be assigned to one of four (on 3550 - 3750) egress queues. Within
the egress queues themselves there can be two different thresholds
before discard begins which allows for some granuality within the queue.
Congestion control may be tail drop or WRED. Some switches support the
use of one of their four queues as a FIFO priority queue.

   Interesting stuff - I'm facing no fewer than three definite projects
and two others that are very likely where diffserv domains on Catalyst
3550, 3650, and 3750 play a role. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one
wrestling with this stuff.

Neal