[c-nsp] QOS - 6509 - Next Step?

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Feb 1 11:11:40 EST 2007

Thanks.. yeah, it's a big step for us.. kind of forced by VOIP transversing
our network... I have about 120 routers/switches here to migrate into a
"VOIP plan" .. management is "overdressing" the need for QOS that it's the
"end all be all" of streamlining the network - we've approached in the
technical side more as a "network tool" :)

Anyways, on one of the cards we've done the following and I've love to hear
more (thanks for your feedback and also Peter who told us that NBAR is only
software switched on this platform - which is fine for now as we have tonnes
of CPU cycles to spare and the switches/routers don't do a lot of load)....
remembering that the ONLY markings we are doing are DSCP=EF which I
understand is the same as COS=5 (or am I missing a "translation" here) ??

interface GigabitEthernet6/4
 description Mail Server
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 11
 switchport mode access
 no ip address
 wrr-queue bandwidth 30 70
 wrr-queue queue-limit 40 30
 wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 1 40 80
 wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 2 70 80
 wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 1 80 100
 wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 2 80 100
 wrr-queue cos-map 1 1 1
 wrr-queue cos-map 1 2 0
 wrr-queue cos-map 2 1 2 3 4
 wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 6 7
 no cdp enable

Interface GigabitEthernet6/4 queueing strategy:  Weighted Round-Robin
  Port QoS is enabled
  Port is untrusted
  Extend trust state: not trusted [COS = 0]
  Default COS is 0
    Queueing Mode In Tx direction: mode-cos
    Transmit queues [type = 1p2q2t]:
    Queue Id    Scheduling  Num of thresholds
       1         WRR low             2
       2         WRR high            2
       3         Priority            1

    WRR bandwidth ratios:   30[queue 1]  70[queue 2]
    queue-limit ratios:     40[queue 1]  30[queue 2]  30[Pri Queue]*same as
Q2

    queue random-detect-min-thresholds
    ----------------------------------
      1    40[1] 80[2]
      2    70[1] 80[2]

    queue random-detect-max-thresholds
    ----------------------------------
      1    80[1] 100[2]
      2    80[1] 100[2]

    queue thresh cos-map
    ---------------------------------------
    1     1      1
    1     2      0
    2     1      2 3 4
    2     2      6 7
    3     1      5

    Queueing Mode In Rx direction: mode-cos
    Receive queues [type = 1q2t]:
    Queue Id    Scheduling  Num of thresholds
       1         Standard            2

    queue tail-drop-thresholds
    --------------------------
    1     100[1] 100[2]

    queue thresh cos-map
    ---------------------------------------
    1     1      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    1     2

  Packets dropped on Transmit:
    BPDU packets:  0

    queue thresh    dropped  [cos-map]
    1     1                       0  [1 ]
    1     2                       0  [0 ]
    2     1                       0  [2 3 4 ]
    2     2                       0* [6 7 ]
    3     1                       0* [5 ]
                                  * - shared transmit counter

  Packets dropped on Receive:
    BPDU packets:  0

    queue thresh             dropped  [cos-map]
    1     1                       0  [0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]