[c-nsp] QOS advice

mihai at duras.ro mihai at duras.ro
Fri Feb 2 03:26:56 EST 2007

Hello,

I currently have a Layer 2 setup close to the following:

C2950 -- C3550 - C4506

and

C2950 -- same C4506 from above

In 6 of the C2950 switches (there are about 20 of them) I have some VOIP
equipments connected.
The links are:

voip -- 100 Mbps -- C2950 -- 1Gbit -- C3550 -- 1 Gbit -- C4506 --- 1 Gbit
-- C2950-2 --- 100 Mbps -- voip 2

and so on.

Although there is no congestion present there, the voip solution
integrator has demanded that QOS be present on the networking equipments.

I was thinking about something like this:

On C2950:
service-policy input/voip interface for marking incoming voip packets with
a particular dscp.
wrr-queue for egress and voip traffic into Q4 the expedite queue

On C3550:

service-policy input/output:
CBWFQ - voip with priority parameter + bulk traffic rate limitted

and something similar on the C4506.

Could this work like it was intended ?
Do you have any better solutions ?
How will the resource usage behave on these equipments with gigabit links ?
Currently each gbit uplink consumes about 50-100 Mbps and 20kpps in/out
except the C4506 ones which aggregate traffic throughout the network.