[c-nsp] QOS advice

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Mon Feb 5 07:03:49 EST 2007

>  I've noticed that QoS needing to be end to end is one of the most
> common mistakes in networking.  People seem to think they can
> do QoS on
> only one end and have it work correctly.

Well, you need to understand what's happening to the packets end-to-end -
that's not necessarily the same thing as altering the PHB on each and every
device end-to-end.

Classification, LLQ / CBWFQ, etc at the edge, and constant surplus bandwidth
with negligable serialization delays in the core can work perfectly well, as
long as you can control the core and be very sure that's what you have.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim.franklin at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Network Development &        w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Product Engineering          t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876