[c-nsp] MSFC3 input ACL packet-filter performance impact

barney gumbo barney.gumbo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:50:45 EST 2007

Can anyone provide any insight as to what kind of performance hit I might
see, if any, for the following scenario using an ACL packet-filter:

6509 with sup720/msfc3 running in hybrid mode

~400 Mbps being routed through two SVI interfaces

most traffic is trx/rx on ~12 physical ports

input ACL with ~25-35 lines on a single SVI where most of the traffic is
trx'd, in some cases the trx traffic will be ~400 Mbps, in some cases the rx
traffic will be ~400 Mbps.

99.9% of the packets hitting this ACL will need to pass each line before
proceeding

we will not use any log options for this ACL

Trying to get some ideas before an ACL is slapped on... Basically, should I
be concerned about any performance impact for the MSFC or Sup if I put on
this ACL.

Any insight would be appreciated.