[c-nsp] What are other SPs doing about CALEA?

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Feb 7 12:56:37 EST 2007

> Frank Bulk wrote:
> > It's been our understanding that if Vonage voice traffic crosses our
> > broadband networks that the LEA will work with Vonage, not us, to
recover
> > the signaling and audio.
>
> That's a BIG negative.  It's your responsibility.  Vonage can't
> intercept end point RTP streams.

How's that?  Of course Vonage can intercept RTP streams.  Either it cross
their SIP proxy servers, SBCs, or TDM gateways to the PSTN.

> > That is, we're only responsible for recovering the
> > voice traffic for the voice services *we* provide.
>
> Nope.  If you are a broadband service provider, if VoIP can travel your
> pipes, you are responsible for it.  Regardless if your the service
> provider for the VoIP or not.

As I mentioned in the previous email, if the VoIP crosses our data network
and we have a data tap order, then yes, we will of course be capturing those
RTP and SIP packets, but it's not our job to play back the audio.  We will
just send the data back to the LEA.

> > The Vonages of this world also have CALEA requirements and obligations
> > and they will fulfill that for their own voice customers.
>
> Vonage has basically washed their hands of this.  All they really need
> to supply is customer information and maybe call records.  But if they
> bypass Vonage and go directly to you for the intercept, they'll have any
> future call records anyway.

What do you mean that Vonage has washed their hands of this?  There are
multiple sources pointing to Vonage becoming CALEA compliant:
http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/mtarchive/003112.html
http://www.verisign.com/printablePages/page_028679.html
http://www.mocaedu.com/mt/archives/000119.html
If the LEA wants to tap a Vonage line they're going to start with IP
telephony provider which is Vonage, not the broadband provider.   Why would
they start with a broadband provider for a voice call?  I can see some
mitigating circumstances, such as if the internet link was poor that the LEA
might want to go closer to the edge of to obtain a better quality RTP
stream, but that's pure speculation on my part.

> >  Of course, if the order is for us to
> > capture all data traffic to and from a subscriber, and that includes
Vonage
> > SIP and RTP traffic, then of course, that's passed on, too, but we won't
> > need to extract the signaling or audio.
>
> Well that may be the case now, or in the future.  But as far as I know,
> the LI images on the Cisco side only support VoIP right now.

It depends if you're talking about PacketCable or their routers.  See
http://www.opastco.org/docs/SP_CALEA_Webinar.ppt for more information.