[c-nsp] What are other SPs doing about CALEA?

Frank Bulk fbulk at mypremieronline.com
Wed Feb 7 12:28:10 EST 2007

<snip>

> That's exactly it, it's not compliant.  If you have an ATM OC3 where one
> caller with a PPPoE session can call another on the same OC3, in the
> same router, you have to be able to intercept; so your probes won't do
> you a lot of good if they don't leave the router.  Remember CALEA is
for
> voice only, there is no requirement to "capture all data" AFAIK.

Just to confirm what Justin already said, but there is a requirement to
capture all data.  That's exactly what's the fuss is about.  And not
only all data, but perhaps before or at the first L3 hop, that is,
before the L3 headers are re-written.  Fortunately we're spared from
passing on the electrons from the target CPE; so far we haven't heard
Linksys being asked to support LI in their broadband routers. =)

Frank