[c-nsp] Reboot on software crash instead of rommon (7600)

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Wed Feb 7 17:19:57 EST 2007

Peter Salanki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When my 7600s sometimes crash due to software errors, they don't  reboot
> but just stays in rommon until a technician can reach the site  and
> power-cycle the box. Is there some way to force the box to always
> reboot upon software error?
>
> I.e
>
> Feb  7 11:47:19.389: %CPU_MONITOR-3-PEER_EXCEPTION: CPU_MONITOR peer
> has failed due to exception , reset by [5/0]
>
> %Software-forced reload
>
> then the box was put into rommon.

Assuming sup720 here...

Ensure your config-register is set appropriately (I use 0x2102)
and make sure you have up to date ROMMON.

8.1(3) (if I remember correctly) hit me with staying in rommon when
I expected it to boot - 'show mod' will let you know what you have.

c6ksup3-rm2.srec.8.4.2 and c6ksup720-rm2.8-5-1.srec both fixed this.
Download from CCO.  Upgrade procedure can be found there too.
As always, take care with this sort of procedure, and take TAC advice
if you're unsure, and if you are already on either of these versions,
your issue will be something else.
--
Ian Dickinson
Senior Network Development Engineer