[c-nsp] how to stop broadcast,multicast

Vikas Sharma vikassharmas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 11:53:18 EST 2007

Hi,

I have 8 routers (not cisco routers) running ospf and connected to 6509
switch. 6509 is also running ospf and all are in the same ospf area. All
router are connected via VLAN to the switch i.e. we have created a vlan and
all links (from all 8 routers) are going in to that vlan. Now due to some
reason i want to stop inter communication between 8 routers (i.e only
broadcast). How can I achieve the same?

My thought process -

I can implement "protected ports" on the switch. But this will only help me
in not broadcasting within vlan and not reaching to other routers (protected
port stop broadcast, multicast, unicast between protected ports.). Once
packets are out of vlan (as ospf database is already there), broadcasted
packets will go back to routers....

Can I stop these broadcast packets to goback to routers? I can not use
access-list on the vlan interface as if any packet with mtu size more than
1500 byte come, access list will drop the 2nd onward packet (ACL drop
fregmented packets).

consider i want to stop packets for ports 135-139 and 445.

Regards
Vikas Sharma