[c-nsp] VRF-Lite Question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 12 15:00:32 EST 2007

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
>> a client is following this topology and now wants to enable
>> wireless access to all the users in all 3 buildings.
>> Requirement is to use the physical 2950's in the building which
>> are connected to 3550's which are connected at L3 to the core
>> 4507R. VLANs are not spanned out of one single building -
>
> Why not use a Wireless LAN Controller? (AKA a "Unified Wireless
> Network). In that case, all WLAN traffic is tunnelled to the WLC,
> and you don't need to mess with VRF Lite, MPLS, or VLANs spanning
> the infrastructure.
>
> See http://tinyurl.com/5zg8d

I can second this. Whilst the vlans+stp+vrflite does work for wireless,
it has a significant administrative overhead. We've evaluated the WLC
solution and are probably going to move our existing APs over to it.

On the minus side, Cisco charge about a hojillion dollars for something
that's basically a big GRE terminator, so it does suck somewhat for
pricing. You might want to investigate other vendors if this is a
"green-field" installation (wireless-ly speaking)

The Cisco "line", which I suppose is reasonable, is that the ratio of
operational/capital costs is so much higher for wireless that spending
capital budget to get intelligence into the network is worthwhile. I can
certainly vouch for running >350 heavyweight Cisco access points being a
tedious drain on resources.

Of course it's just coincidence that they've moved to a recurrent
licensing (and revenue-guaranteeing) model at the same time...