[c-nsp] VRF-Lite Question

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 12 15:35:02 EST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> The Cisco "line", which I suppose is reasonable,

reasonably dictated by shareholder value,

> is that the ratio of
> operational/capital costs is so much higher for wireless that spending
> capital budget to get intelligence into the network is worthwhile.

I argue the opposite.

The wireless technology is changing fast, and trade rags are now talking
3 year depreciation.  Meanwhile, the features suck, the integration
sucks,
and the interoperability sucks.

That means you should hold your money (and your breath ;-) until the
wireless market matures before you invest in "Magic technology X",
which may not exist in 2+ years.

I feel sorry for the folks that bought into the WLSE, and then
for good reason the product was scrapped.

> I can certainly vouch for running >350 heavyweight Cisco access
> points being a tedious drain on resources.

Shouldn't be.  We mange 1,500+ AP's the same way we mange thousands
of switches and routers, Rancid.

Take a look at Airwave's AMP, which is great for the helpdesk/noc
side of managing heavy ap's: http://www.airwave.com/products/AMP.html

Dale