[c-nsp] EIGRP - Retry Limit Exceeded

Steve Wright steve at stevewrightonline.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 11:06:49 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to diagnose a problem that I hit when performing on IOS upgrade on one of our routers last night.

We run EIGRP as our IGP between the routers in the network, and I started receiving an error of
%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 6368: Neighbor x.x.x.1 (GigabitEthernet0/0) is down: retry limit exceeded

Gi0/0 has an MTU set of 1900, and the routers it was establishing a neighborship too (but then producing the above error) has an MTU
of 1500.

Previously, the neighborhips had been up for a substantial amount of time in this configuration. Adjusting the MTU on Gi0/0 back to
1500 corrected the issue.

I'm believe the issue is with regard to the updates/ replies being sent out at 1900 and the receiving router dropping the packet.

Is their any workaround such as within OSPF 'ip ospf mtu-ignore'?

The devices in question are a 7200 NPE-G1 running 12.3.22 and a 7301 running 12.4.11(T1)  (I've labbed this with 2 x 7301's and
haven't been able to recreate this though :(  )

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com