[c-nsp] DSL and Load Balancing with a 3640

Networkers cisco at peakpeak.com
Wed Feb 14 12:16:48 EST 2007

I have a few 3640's lying around and thought it might be fun to try an
experiment with one of them.  Load balancing two DSL lines.

Without giving it a lot of thought I was thinking of doing something like
this:

DSL MainAgg ------ DSL Line #1 ---- Cisco 678 Bridging ----- eth0/0 in 3640
      |----------- DSL Line #2 ---- Cisco 678 #2 Bridge ---- eth0/0 in 3640

Then I'd feed the local LAN with eth0/1 in the 3640.

I thought I'd try using OSPF or EIGRP for the load balancing parton the DSL
Aggreggator and the 3640, but since both bridged ADSL modems are in the same
subnet, I wasn't sure this would work all that well.

I also considered MLPPP and putting the 678's in PPP mode, but wasn't sure
how the performance would fare.

My goal would be to utilize the two DSL lines fully, and a secondary goal is
not to spend $600 on 2 WICs since 678's are lying around all over the place
:)

Thanks for any ideas or comments/critique on this approach.

Chris