[c-nsp] Routing Problem - MCI/GT/Level3 - Puzzled

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Feb 14 14:52:47 EST 2007

Paul Stewart wrote:

> Anyone provide me clues on what I"m missing here?  GT isn't probably 1/10th
> the size of MCI so I anticipated huge traffic levels .... and I hate
> prepending whenever I can avoid it... three prepends seems completely
> nuts....  and yes, I've spent a lot of time on route-servers looking for our
> routes and there always seems to be a preference towards GT and/or
> Level(3)....

GT is likely purchasing transit from various nets.  Those nets are
likely applying customer local-preference to GT's advertisements, and
are therefore preferring the GT path over MCI, regardless of AS path length.

Ask GT what community to use to request peer-level local-preference in
their transit providers' networks, and apply that to your announcements.
  If they don't have one, whine to GT management, and add this
requirement to all future purchasing decisions.

pt