[c-nsp] Routing Problem - MCI/GT/Level3 - Puzzled

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 14 15:00:33 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 01:52:47PM -0600, Pete Templin wrote:
> Paul Stewart wrote:
>
> > Anyone provide me clues on what I"m missing here?  GT isn't probably 1/10th
> > the size of MCI so I anticipated huge traffic levels .... and I hate
> > prepending whenever I can avoid it... three prepends seems completely
> > nuts....  and yes, I've spent a lot of time on route-servers looking for our
> > routes and there always seems to be a preference towards GT and/or
> > Level(3)....
>
> GT is likely purchasing transit from various nets.  Those nets are
> likely applying customer local-preference to GT's advertisements, and
> are therefore preferring the GT path over MCI, regardless of AS path length.
>
> Ask GT what community to use to request peer-level local-preference in
> their transit providers' networks, and apply that to your announcements.
>   If they don't have one, whine to GT management, and add this
> requirement to all future purchasing decisions.

	yup.

	this is also my guess.  701 (last i knew) did no such local-preference
changes.  so all thigns being equal (as-path, etc..) they may exit to a peer
instead of directly to you (which is silly, imo).

	I recently created this page of cisco config examples for bgp
stuff.  the premises behind this is likely what is getting you.

	http://puck.nether.net/bgp/cisco-config.html

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net