[c-nsp] Routing Problem - MCI/GT/Level3 - Puzzled

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Wed Feb 14 15:03:50 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 21:17, Paul Stewart wrote:

> When we turned up our MCI connection, our performance was very
> poor.  What I mean is that they were doing about 10% of our
> traffic in total.  I can verify our routes are leaving MCI's
> network just fine (my first thought) but I cannot figure out why
> (given their AS size) someone like Group Telecom is outperforming
> them almost 5 times the traffic, if not even more.  Level(3) is
> just "humming along" with it's normal traffic levels....

Various networks have their own internal routing policies that
supercede your own prepending techniques, e.g., LOCAL_PREF, e.t.c.

Another method to get your inbound traffic down the link you want is
to announce longer prefixes to/through that upstream. Longer
prefixes are almost always guaranteed to steer traffic the way you
want, regardless of your upstream's internal routing policies.

Naturally, the longest you should be able to do is a /24.

Mark.