[c-nsp] VRF-Lite Question

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Thu Feb 15 09:17:44 EST 2007

> Yes, and this is why the addition of "distributed layer3" to
> the cisco campus network gravy train was not such a good idea
> - the smaller and thus cheaper routers have weaker
> capabilities in layer3.
>
> If you can afford 6500s and sup32s in each building then all
> fine and well, but you've got more money than I've got.

Nope, not I, although I do day-dream of the day.

> No. The 3550/3750s support 802.1q tags and that's it.
>
> To repeat myself: lots of per-VRF L3 point-to-point SVIs and
> vlan tagging, lots of routing adjacencies. That's the only
> way you'll get this done on 3550/3750s. They're limited platforms.
>
> We have a lot as outlying site routers, and I've done
> extensive investigation of how we could least-effort link
> them into our shiny 6500 network. The answer is, a lot of typing.

One more wrinkle.  Some of these interbuilding links are through a
provider's private vlan system.  No Q.  No Q in Q.  What is the
recommendation for that?

Ray.

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.