[c-nsp] Network Software - Management/Performance

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Mon Feb 19 12:34:56 EST 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Paul Stewart wrote:

> I'm hoping for some input from the list... open to any ideas
> commercial or
> open source...

It sounds to me as if Nagios combined with nfdump/nfsen might be
worth investigating - they're both open source, but aren't horribly
complex to get up and running, IMHO.

For a commercial solution, AFAIK, most of the NMS-type things are
pretty pricey, as are the NetFlow systems.  But you do get what you
pay for with the commercial NetFlow solutions (including anomaly-
detection, which is very useful for getting alerted to inbound/
outbound DDoS, SMTP upsurges which may indicate spam-zombies and/or
email-borne virus activity, etc.).  SP-oriented players in the
NetFlow-based AD space are Arbor, Narus, and Q1 Labs.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

           The telephone demands complete participation.

                       -- Marshall McLuhan