[c-nsp] 3560 & BGP: how many routes?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 21 03:12:30 EST 2007

> How many routes can I expect a Catalyst 3560 to hold?

The relevant question for the 3560 is how many routes the TCAM can hold
(the FIB). This is determined by the "sdm prefer" command, and "sdm
prefer routing" gives you the maximum number which is 8000 routes. See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008077414a.html#wp8359003

> If I have multiple
> BGP peers, is it a valid assumption that it's only the total number of
> accepted (ie non-filtered) routes that matters?

Yes.

>  What are the implications of having multiple peers?

Most likely none, since the 3560 is likely to have more than enough
memory to hold the RIB for 8K routes worth of FIB.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no