[c-nsp] QoS question

Djerk Geurts djerk.cisco at easynet.nl
Thu Feb 22 05:56:15 EST 2007

Without nbar one generally classifies RTP and RTCP by specifying the range
from 16384 up to 32768. Even ports are RTP and RTCP uses the uneven ports in
the same range.

>From an IETF doc:
"For UDP and similar protocols, RTP SHOULD use an even
destination port number and the corresponding RTCP stream
SHOULD use the next higher (odd) destination port number."

Nbar allows one to select RTP on whatever port it might be using, I recal
Cisco checking the L4 header.

> >> class-map match-any video-voice
> >> match protocol rtp audio
> >> match protocol rtp video
You might want to consider removing the audio statement. Definetely classify
at ingress and mark the traffic if you're allowed to do so. Another option
is to have the applications using RTP mark the packets using ip prec or dscp
and classify on that. To give you even more options many voip
implementations split the voip traffic from the data traffic on the LAN by
utilising separate vlans and thus separate ip segments enabling qos
classification by ip address. Though one has to realise that this wouldn't
cover softphones.

--
Djerk
www.djerk.nl