[c-nsp] 2851 throughput / guidance

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Feb 27 23:02:37 EST 2007

Alex Campbell wrote:
>> The 2851 doesn't gain you much over the 2821 (except
>> price) if this really is a short-term solution.
>
> There is a pretty significant price difference and I am inclined to
> agree.  I was thinking that 2851 might handle the the BGP side bit
> better as its processor is faster, but I can't find any documentation as
> to how much difference there really is between the two CPUs.
>
> Is anyone on the list running a 2821 with 2 x full internet routing
> tables?

I'm getting ready to promote a 2821 to the border in one location so I
can demote a 3660 that's severely constrained (not even enough available
RAM to populate the FIB).  The 3660 has 2 full BGP tables.  The 2821
will have 3 and I don't anticipate having any problems.

I would certainly recommend streamlining the config as much as possible.
  If you have to use ACLs make sure they're optimzed and then enable ACL
compiling.  Use uRPF for ingress/egress filtering on the access layer
instead of more ACLs.  I would avoid the firewall functions at all
costs.  You should use a firewall if you need firewall functionality for
a hosting environment, even a small one.  You'll get more out of your
short-term investment if you go easier on the advanced services and
stick with the basics.  That's a given of course.

As always max out the RAM in any router you buy from day one.

Justin