[c-nsp] Replace a 2950 with a 3550.

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Wed Feb 28 20:35:37 EST 2007

Hi Keith,

     are you going to enable L3 routing on the 3550?  if not, and the
3550 is going to be used as a drop in replacement to increase the
number of ports and switching capacity there should be no impact
at least from a L2 infrastructure.

     now if you plan to enable L3 routing on the 3550 so as to handle
the redirect for your /24 it's going to be a different issue.
what is your topology like?

is it?

-- remote DHCP server -- 3550 -- CMTS #1
-- local DHCP server --       -- CMTS #2
                                -- CMTS #3

my suggestion would be to avoid routing in this scenario as you don't
need it.  just have CMTS #1, #2, and the link to the remote DHCP server
be in one VLAN.  and the local DHCP server and the CMTS#3 in a second
VLAN.  This way your production and test traffic would be kept separate.

if you want to maintain remote access, you could possibly look into
enabling IP Routing and RIPv2 (you need the EMI feature set) between
the 2 VLANs.

cheers
.siva