[c-nsp] gigabit ethernet ring for metro ethernet deployment

Affan Basalamah affanzbasalamah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 11:57:39 EST 2007

Hi all,

I just want to ask for your opinion in deploying gigabit ethernet ring
for metro ethernet MAN deployment. The information I got is that
gigabit ethernet ring has drawbacks in ring capacity bandwidth for L2
metro deployment. I know, gigeth doesn't been designed to allow ring
topology, so creating p2p link with layer 2 will cause some
limitation, thanks to the spanning tree protocol.

I want to know, is it possible to deploy L3 point-to-point link to
create gigeth ring that can overcome the limitation above ?

The goals that I was trying to achieve is to design and deploy metro
ethernet ring for MAN backbone with the smallest budget possible, and
I find that metro gigabit ethernet switch is quite cheap these days,
compared to the RPR and sonet/sdh-based solution.

Thank you all for your information,

Regards,

-affan