[c-nsp] Possibility of using T1 VIC/VWIC to emulate T1 as comes from CO?

Sean Caron caron.sean at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:00:11 EST 2007

Hi all,

Say you've got some sort of dial-up RAS concentrator that takes T1
lines into digital modems, like an Ascend MAX or something of that
nature.

Then, say we've got a Cisco 2600 with a NM-2V + VIC-2FXS plus some
sort of "T1 module".

Would it be possible to basically do this -- hook up a simulated
"user" on one of the FXS ports with a modem, then they would dial some
number which then goes out the T1 module in the 2600, over a T1
crossover, to the T1 port on the MAX, where the call is answered by
one of the modems.

Basically, what I want to do is set up the 2600 as a little CO switch
in miniature with two analogue lines and a T1 for the purposes of
hacking around a little bit in a lab scenario with these sorts of RAS
concentrator boxes, that take T1s into digital modems (since I don't
have any real T1s).

Is it possible?

If so, I know there are a few different T1 modules available. Is there
a particular one that would be needed for this application (VIC,
VWIC)?

Sorry if this seems stupid, not even a real world scenario.. just me
hacking around in my lab with a bunch of obsolete equipment :)

Thanks, Sean