[c-nsp] VLAN config for MOE

Ruben Alvarez raa at opusnet.com
Fri Jan 5 16:18:19 EST 2007

All,

We just turned up offering Qwest MOE.  I've got a 100MB port setup as a
802.1q trunk in order to handle multiple circuits to different customers.
Qwest just setup our first customer with a 10MB circuit which Qwest assigned
VLAN 650 for us to use.

On the customer side, they have a physical interface to assign the VLAN to
and that works great.  On my side, I use a trunk to Qwest and int vlan 650.
At first, I couldn't get a dynamic MAC address assigned to either the
interface VLAN or the gig trunk port and it wouldn't work.  I finally had to
plug a device into the switch and associate a port with the new VLAN 650
before it started working.  I've since removed the device and port from the
VLAN and it's still up.

I don't understand why I had to do this and I'm worried that if I reboot the
switch, the VLAN will not come up if there is not physical interface
connected to the VLAN.

Does anyone have any insight into this or run a similar VLAN configuration?
Any help greatly appreciated.

- Ruben