[c-nsp] CRB Bridging subnets with the same IP while routing

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Mon Jan 8 04:18:38 EST 2007

To:    Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
cc:    lists at hojmark.org, cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net

Subject:    Re: [c-nsp] CRB Bridging subnets with the same IP while routing

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:35:48AM +0000, Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
wrote:
> 2) If crb/irb do not work and fallback bridging is the only option on the
> 3550 how do I get the box to bridge IP when it knows how to route it and
> therfore thinks that is what I want?

Use a cross-over ethernet cable to wire the two VLANs you want to
have bridged together?

gert
-
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert at greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025
gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

===============================================================================================================
Thanks Gert,

My illustration was an over simplified version of what I was trying to do
as I actualy needed to bridge past 3 routed ports,
Now you have challenged me with the obvious, I've realised I can simply

1) loose my 'legacy' vlan on each distribution switch
2)make my routed uplink to the core an SVI
3)Add secondary addresses for the legacy subnet HSRP on core vlan that
takes all the incoming uplinks from the distribution switches
4)plug my legacy kit on to the newly created distribution<--->core vlan

(given there are also 2 FDDI rings I have left out for simplicity, I wish
it were quite that easy but thats the gist of it!)

A rather unothadox solution but it does get me out of a hole

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.