[c-nsp] 3508 / GBIC ZX / Minimum IOS

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Jan 8 23:30:47 EST 2007

Is there a minimum IOS version to support LH or ZX GBICs on the 3508?

We are trying to extend an LH handoff via ZX on the 3508 (an old L2 8
port gigabit switch). This switch used to work perfectly well in its
original life as a MM GBIC switch.

Our symptoms are as follows:

First, we are getting "good" light levels on both the LH and ZX sides...
on the ZX side we are launching at about 4db and receiving at about
-10db. On the LH side (IIRC) we are at about -4db and receiving at a
fair amount less... maybe -8db. I think these are all within the "good"
ranges.

However, the 3508 does not show "link". All its interfaces are showing
"down/down" and the lights are all dead (though they light up on power
up test). Power up test shows no errors or anomalies.

I'm reasonably sure, I either have a dead box or an IOS goof.  I haven't
tried a MM loopback on the other interfaces...

A 6509 on the remote end of the ZX connector sees "link" (up/up] on this
connection, but doesn't see the IP address of the 3508 -- which makes
sense because the 3508 doesn't think the interface is up, but its
completely responsive at the console.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Deepak