[c-nsp] 3508 / GBIC ZX / Minimum IOS

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 9 02:48:08 EST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 11:30:47PM -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:
> However, the 3508 does not show "link". All its interfaces are showing
> "down/down" and the lights are all dead (though they light up on power
> up test). Power up test shows no errors or anomalies.

You might need to play with port negotiation - I've never understood what
autonegotiation is *good* for on GigE fiber ports ("single possible speed,
always full duplex") but if one side is set to negotiate, and the other
side to *not* do it, you won't get a link.  BTDT.

I'm not sure what the correct command on the 3508 is, but it's always
something along the lines of

  [no] negotiation auto
  [no] switchport nonegotiate
  [no] speed nonegotiate