[c-nsp] 3508 / GBIC ZX / Minimum IOS

Daniel Suchy ds at nix.cz
Tue Jan 9 03:33:47 EST 2007

On 01/09/2007 08:48 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
> You might need to play with port negotiation - I've never understood what
> autonegotiation is *good* for on GigE fiber ports ("single possible speed,
> always full duplex") but if one side is set to negotiate, and the other
> side to *not* do it, you won't get a link.  BTDT.

Autonegotiation is useful for fault detection.
With negotiation disabled port becomes on device up always when signal
is detected on laser receive port, and this can be cause of
unidirectional links - dangerous in case of fiber cuts, for example.
With negotiation enabled is tested bidirectional communication between
devices _before_ link comes up and also link comes on both sides down
promptly after disconnection of any (tx,rx) fibre.

Generally isn't good idea disable autonegotiation when both devices can
run with autonegotiation enabled, this can end in unnecessarily problems
(for example if you're forming more interfaces in etherchannel and lose
signal only on one of many fibers).

Dan