[c-nsp] Router/Switch Sizing terms

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Jan 9 07:01:21 EST 2007

Sami Joseph wrote:
> So Pete when you want to compare a switch/router performance to another,
> which numbers do you look at ?
>
> When you are also trying to size your needs, how would you calculate this ?

After enough bad experiences, I size based on line-rate of small
packets, on the line cards and through the backplane.  Too many DOS
attacks come in as high PPS, and if my gear can't handle that I'm in a
world of hurt.  We run at about 40kpps during our busy times, and one of
our customers "attracted" a brief burst of another 80kpps.  'snot fun.

Enterprises might need to size their upstream edge based on PPS, but can
likely size their core network based primarily on an average packet size
of 300 bytes.