[c-nsp] Problem with paste large ACLs

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Fri Jan 12 08:53:22 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:33:43AM +0100, Jeroen Vos wrote:

> We have some problem with paste large ACLs >50 lines to a cisco 6500 (
> and others types also). It seems that after 50 lines some sort of buffer
> is filled and then, no rules are accepted anymore.

As another poster pointed out, it could be the settings of your terminal
program.  But if you're cutting-and-pasting such long ACLs, you're bound
to have other problems sooner or later.  Like what happens when you
paste in 100 line list with a syntax error on line 30?

If you have a Unix or Mac host, you might want to look at aclmaker - it's
a Perl script that lets you edit ACLs as text files on your local machine,
and pushes them up to the router in a careful and reliable way, including
doing a syntax check and automatically adjusting "access-group" statements
on interfaces to prevent lockout due to erroneous ACLs.  It also lets
you run Cisco commands and save the output locally, or filter it through
Unix commands.

It might run on Windows too, but no one seems to have tried to port it yet.

There is also an interesting Windows product called Telconi Terminal that
is a front-end for managing a Cisco router - it has some features for
managing ACLs, though I don't think they do everything aclmaker does.