[c-nsp] BFD bug in IOS SXF6

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Fri Jan 12 15:00:05 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 02:36:20PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 08:31:35AM -0500, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Can you please try any BFD test on 12.2(33)SRA latest code and not SXF?
> >
> > There were some large changes to BFD and scheduling to improve this
> > and they will not be back ported to 12.2(18)SXF.
>
> Did it get pushed down to the linecards?

Not yet.

> This is the only way I'd even
> consider trusting it, as the RP CPU is thrashed far too often even under
> the best of circumstances. I can't use the MSFC3 in a BGP edge role (few
> transit feeds, a couple dozen peers, iBGP links, etc) even with policies
> optimized for replication on anything less than almost all 180 sec
> hold-times without getting false positive BGP session drops.

I'm not arguing with you but I'd like to see the data with lower timers
to show a false positive.

Provide a sniffer trade, debug ip packet for the peer when you see
the session drop. Make sure you are not seeing input queue drops
if you have a lot of routes or large number of peers. The idea was
more that the CPU should be handling a very small number of packets
unless there are features causing punts.

You can tune the process-max-task time down from 200 msec to 20 msec
to limit the time one process can run.

But for BFD it's not the same anymore. It's not a standard run to completion
operation. There is a new concept of preemption that BFD uses to get
fast activation on a failure. And the actual BFD packets themselve are
not even handled at process level. They are consumed and accounted for
under interrupt level.  I need to read up more on exactly how it got
implemented but I know that was part of the changes and hardening in
SRA.

Rodney