[c-nsp] Problem with paste large ACLs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 20:49:52 EST 2007

Robert Holtz wrote:
> You would probably want to push it to the start up config first so that
> you can check for any syntactical issues and what not.  Then do the
> "copy start run" command.
>
> Shooting it directly at the running config is a very dangerous thing to
> do on a production system.

Frankly, in comparison to e.g. the Juniper commit model, virtually
everything about configuring a Cisco is dangerous.

I had formed an impression that "copy start run" had some non-trivial
effects on various version of IOS, but the memory is somewhat hazy at
the moment.

In any event you're correct - randomly re-configuring the box is
dangerous. That's what change control and maintenance windows are for :o)