[c-nsp] BGP next-hop, default routes and more!

Anton Smith anton at huge.geek.nz
Sat Jan 13 13:59:59 EST 2007

> From: "Jee Kay" <jeekay at gmail.com>
> Subject: [c-nsp] BGP next-hop, default routes and more!
> To: c-nsp <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
>
> I am currently trying to set up the following routing for our CPE bits:
>
> CPE--PE--Aggregation--Core
>
> The Core device generates our aggregate routes and does BGP RR magic.
> Our Aggregation connects to said RR magic, and the CPE then connects
> to the Aggregation layer via IBGP to learn various routes. In
> addition, the CPE has a static default configured pointing at the
> remote PE interface.
>
> So far so good..
>
> The problem is that that the aggregation device loopback is in the
> address space covered by the aggregate routes advertised by the core.
> As far as I can tell, this leads to:

*snip*

Try running your IBGP session between the addresses on your link nets
rather than to the loopbacks. If you don't have an alternate path to get
to the loopback on the PE, then there is no benefit in running the
session to it. Then you get directly connected routes which will always
be there and they will win over any BGP learnt routes. To get this to
work you may need to use the neighbor update-source option.

Cheers,
Anton