[c-nsp] Bonding GSR 12008 and Catalyst 6500

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Sat Jan 13 14:00:05 EST 2007

On (2007-01-13 09:59 -0800), Peter Kranz wrote:

> In a configuration where a GSR 12008 is providing the routing functionality
> and a Catalyst 6500 is providing the switching functionality, its easy to
> see where a GigE x-connect will get saturated. The 12008 doesn't support
> 10GigE cards, so another approach to getting more BW between the two chassis
> is required.
>
> What's the recommended approach to handle this?
>
> Etherchannel - I can't find any documents on cco.cisco.com that indicate if
> this even works on a GSR

It's supported on GSR, with limited feature-sets, but has gotten better
in late 12.0S releases.

> BGP multipath -

ECMP has fewer catches in GSR than port-channel, so something to consider.
However, with ECMP you don't get any fate sharing, that is, if you
constantly push say 1.5Gbps, you really want to loose both circuits,
if single circuits goes down, port-channel allows that, ECMP today does
not.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti