[c-nsp] upgrading WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE to sup720 3bxl on 6509

Todd, Douglas M. DTODD at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Jan 16 11:37:15 EST 2007

Hi:

We have done this about many many  times and have not had much of a problem. I
went and  created and elaborate a script which parses the configuration (STP,
Port, SMTP, etc) and builds the L2/L3 configuration as well as moves the sup to
the requited slot you specify. Seems to work with out much of a problem.

We did things in the following order:

1) power
2) Fan
3) Sup

The removal of the old sup required us to move may connections around to make
space for removing the fan as well as making slot 5 available for the sup.

One big thing we always run into is the Vlans and STP on the IOS platform.   I
am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

If you have a configuration with the following:

Vlan 200
	name my vlan
!
Vlan 300
	name my vlan 2
!
Spanning-tree vlan 200,300 priority 8192
Vtp domain test
Vtp transparent

When you first load such a configuration tftp run (wr me, reload); or even copy
tftp startup. The system will NOT retain the vlan information, vtp information,
or spanning-tree after reload.  You can do a sh startup and see the information
there.

 The only method that works is to manually paste the information in, verify, wr
me then reload the box to make sure it's there. At which point you can then tftp
the rest of the configuration.

I don't know what your bootflash or sup-bootflash is like, but I would make sure
that it's big enough to hold the versions of IOS you want. Upgrading the flash
on the 720s to the onboard CF card is a PIA.

Just some info...
DMT