[c-nsp] 2821 for BGP?

nealr neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Tue Jan 16 18:44:52 EST 2007

    The processor and ram requirements have been addressed by others -
should be fine on a 28xx.

    I would be worried about HSRP being in this mix - if you have
traffic exiting via R1 and the return path is R2 you may see ICMP and
UDP function but TCP fail due to the asymmetry - FreeBSD will pitch a
fit if it sees traffic returning from a different MAC/IP than it used
for a gateway and Windows boxes just silently fail. Yes, ICMP redirect
yadda yadda yadda ... but if there is any trouble the person working the
host side is very likely to not be able to sort this stuff out on their
own. I treat configurations like this as a serious design error and do
whatever is required to correct the problem ...

   If you've got some deal with the upstream provider for two links and
just default routes over BGP then this could be made to work, but it has
to be a strict ordering of resources -R1 and link1 are primary unless
they die, in which case T2/link2 becomes responsible.