[c-nsp] 2821 for BGP?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 17 03:01:46 EST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:44:52PM -0600, nealr wrote:
> UDP function but TCP fail due to the asymmetry - FreeBSD will pitch a
> fit if it sees traffic returning from a different MAC/IP than it used
> for a gateway and Windows boxes just silently fail.

Huh?  This is not matching our observations - and we have HSRP routers
sitting in front of a largish server LAN, with FreeBSD 4.x and 6.x
machines, and some Windows in the mix.  Given the nature of HSRP, there
is quite some amount of asymmetry here.

Our experience here is, as long as we're not doing any fancy packet
filtering (reflective ACLs or such), it will work without *any* problems.

[There is one caveat - if there are multiple switches in the mix, you
can end up with 'unknown unicast' flooding - but that's due to L2 issues
in the switch cloud, and has nothing to do with MAC checking on the
individual hosts]

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de