[c-nsp] 2821 for BGP?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 17 03:25:40 EST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 04:19:23PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > [There is one caveat - if there are multiple switches in the mix, you
> > can end up with 'unknown unicast' flooding - but that's due to L2 issues
> > in the switch cloud, and has nothing to do with MAC checking on the
> > individual hosts]
>
> Grr, this pops up when runing asymmetric L3 through different L2 paths.

Yes.

We work around this by having the boxes send out controlled broadcasts
every minute or so - "rwhod" on the unix boxes does the job just perfectly
well :) - the broadcast load for a "normal" network segment (fewer than
50 servers) is neglibile, and we don't see any flooding anymore.

> Now, if there were a way to tell HSRP to not consider standby interfaces for
> forwarding/routing at all (except for HSRP notifications!) the above could
> be dodged a heck of a lot easier..

Indeed.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/